The cable car was introduced in San Francisco on August 2, 1873. Wire-cable manufacturer Andrew Hallidie conceived the idea after Witnessing an accident in which a horse-drawn carriage faltered and rolled backward downhill dragging the horses behind it. The first cable car to descend down Clay Street on Nob Hill was an immediate success. Besides creating a vital link in San Francisco`s public transportation system, the cable car opened the door for building on steep hills which until this time was thought to be impossible. Cable cars remained the primary mode of transportation until the 1906 earthquake. The quake and the fires that followed destroyed most of the cable car system and as the City rebuilt, few lines were restored. A municipal railway replaced most lines. San Francisco`s bellowed cable cars are the only vehicles of their kind still in operation and are designated NATIONAL LANDMARKS.
(Foto: alb-negru=net, color=E.L.Bureriu)